Are you a New Years’ resolution type? Whether you’re setting new goals for yourself or maintaining current ones, I’ve got a few tips for a healthier you no matter what time of year it is. Let’s talk about a few simple swaps that you can make both on and off your plate to improve your health from the inside out!
Simple Swaps for a Healthier Mind
The mind is a powerful tool in how we live day in and day out. It often dictates how we view ourselves, our habits, and the food on our plate. Here are a few simple swaps that you can make for a more positive outlook:
- Anxiety and stress for a simple breathing technique to help you relax and stay grounded in the present
- Negative thought patterns for positive reinforcement through affirmations
- Hitting the snooze button for gratitude journaling (it only takes a few minutes to write down three things you’re grateful for!)
Simple Swaps for a Healthier Plate
There’s no way around it. What we put in our body directly affects how we feel and function! While there are many swaps to make for a healthier plate, here are a few of my favorite:
- Sugary breakfast for a nutritious smoothie (remember when we talked about how to build a healthy smoothie, here?)
- Nutrition-less meal for the perfect trifecta (a healthy combination of lean protein, fiber-rich sources of carbohydrates and healthy fats!) I’ve got a whole post outlined for you here on how to balance your plate to optimize your health.
- Processed foods (those that have a long ingredients list!) for whole, nutritious foods usually found in the perimeter of the grocery store
Simple Swaps for a Healthier Body
A healthy body requires a body that’s in motion. This goes beyond just your regular sweat session! Some of my favorite simple swaps to increase movement throughout the day include:
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator
- Exercise meet up with a friend instead of a happy hour date
- Bodyweight exercises (like pushups and squats) during TV commercial breaks
- Using the restroom on another floor of the building or at the opposite end of the house as opposed to the one closest by
When it comes to wellbeing, it’s important to focus on all areas of health, not just one. I encourage you to do something for yourself today that was better than yesterday that will get you closer to where you want to be tomorrow.
So what simple swap are you going to make today?
For a further breakdown of simple swaps to make every day to improve your health, check out my book SIMPLY SWAPPED Everyday, here!