Just when we thought the coast was clear from all of the Valentine’s candies and chocolates, now chocolate Easter bunnies are popping up on shelves! It can be challenging to stay on course with healthy habits when there are sweet around seemingly every corner, I get it!
Instead of completely ignoring sweet cravings in times of temptation, how about satisfying them in a healthier way? If you crave chocolate, then you are going to love these chocolate peanut butter truffles made with no added sugar and sweetened with nature’s delicious fruit – dates!
Here’s the 411 on the nutritional goodness of these decedent truffles:
- Cacao powder: the raw and much less processed form of cocoa powder, cacao powder is incredibly high in antioxidants and magnesium. Don’t have cacao powder? Swap it out for dark cocoa powder.
- Medjool dates: these delicious gems are like nature’s candy and can be found in the produce section of the grocery store. While they do contain sugar (it is a fruit, after all), dates are high in fiber, potassium and other nutrients.
- Walnuts: the combination of healthy fats, protein and fiber in walnuts helps promote a feeling a fullness, making them a fantastic component of this healthy treat.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles
- 2 cups Medjool dates, pits removed (about 20)
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons cacao powder (or substitute cocoa powder)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a food processor, add all of the ingredients and blend on HIGH until the mixture begins to form a ball and the dates are finely chopped. Using a melon baller or a spoon, shape about 1 Tablespoon of the mixture into a ball. Place onto a plate or baking sheet and repeat until the mixture is gone. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or the freezer for a few months!