You’ve heard it before: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But is it really? While eating consistent, healthy meals throughout the day is key, what you choose to eat (or not eat) at the start of your day plays a huge role in overall health and well-being.
Here are four reasons to fit in a healthful meal in the morning:
Boosts metabolism and energy. Think about it. While you sleep, your body is in a “powered down” mode in an effort to conserve energy. Starting your day with a nutritious breakfast is a great way to “power on” your body to get it running for the day. Your body also requires energy to digest food which is translated to burning calories!
Keeps hunger hormones in check. “Ghrelin”, the hunger hormone, is increased during a state of fasting and energy restriction (while you sleep). These hormones only decrease with food intake and are kept under control with a nutritiously balanced breakfast of lean protein, healthy fats and carbohydrates!
Sneak in nutrients from the get go. Breakfast is one of the several opportunities throughout the day to fuel your body with the nutrients it needs to thrive. What you choose for breakfast is equally important as fitting this meal of the day in. Be mindful of overly processed and sugary breakfast options that could be a recipe for (nutrition) disaster.
Improves concentration, memory and mood. Studies have shown that a healthy breakfast is linked to an overall improved mood, better memory and stronger cognitive performance. Healthy breakfast equals increased productivity and happiness!
A few of my go-to healthy breakfasts include:
- A piece of avocado toast (whole wheat or sprouted grain bread preferred) with a fried egg on top
- Overnight oats: my basic recipe includes 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 mashed banana, 1 Tablespoon almond butter, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 3/4 cup milk of choice. Take it up a notch with these Mud Pie Mojo Overnight Oats!
- A fruit smoothie packed with leafy greens, protein and a serving of healthy fats
- Three-ingredient pancakes (all that’s required is a banana, egg and rolled oats!). Get the recipe, here.
- Roasted sweet potato with plain Greek yogurt, sprinkle of cinnamon and drizzle of raw honey
Rise, shine and don’t forget a nutritious breakfast to start your day the healthy way!