There are lots of reasons why I love intervals. Intervals aren’t just for running. In fact, you can train intervals using body weight, stairs, cycling and rowing. Some of the reasons I love interval training are below, plus a few ideas for workouts that can be done within 15-20 minutes. You could use this as a full workout for the day, a warm-up, or a finisher – it’s up to you. It’s your workout! Here’s a little Q&A I put together to help you get started:
What Are the Benefits?
- Jump start metabolism
- Increase cardiovascular fitness
- Help shed extra fat
- Save time – if you work hard you can get it done in 20 minutes
- Effective – if you stay consistent you will see change quickly, and I love results!
How Often Should I Train in Intervals?
- I go for 2-3x’s per week because I feel so good afterwards
What Are Some Ideas for Interval Training?
- 5 minutes – climb between 6-10 pace
- 15 minutes –
- :30 seconds climb 12-15 pace
- 1:00 recover back to 6-8 pace
- Repeat until 20 minute mark
Erg & Body Weight Training
- 500 meters as fast possible
- 10 Push Ups
- 10 Sit Ups
- 10 Squats or Squat Jumps
- Recover – 1:30 before starting again
- Repeat 4x, or until 2000 meters total
- 5-minute walk/run warm up – Incline at least 2% through entire training 6.0 speed. (I have written this to cater to someone running; shave off some of the speed if you want to walk it.)
- 1 minute at 6.5
- 1 minute at 7.5
- :30 seconds at 9+
- 1:30 Recover at 3.5
- Repeat 4X