If you’re part of the Body Transformation Program, then you already know about my love for mason jar salads, but for everyone else, listen up. I’ve got the solution to your lunchtime woes!
Do you find yourself looking at the clock and wondering how it’s already lunchtime most days? Chances are, you might not have anything prepared and you find yourself scrambling to come up with the quickest and most convenient option.
If this is you (or you are looking for ways to kick your nutritious meals up a notch), let me introduce you to the mason jar salad. This salad can be prepped ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to four days!
The key to prepping ahead is all in the layering, so let’s get started.
- Layer 1: Always the dressing! You want to be sure your dressing is at the bottom to keep it away from the leafy greens. This is the secret to your salad staying fresh for up to four days.
- Layer 2: Hard vegetables. This would be any food that can withstand marinating in the dressing for a period of time. Examples include: carrots, beans, corn, snap peas, radishes, etc.
- Layer 3: Soft vegetables and fruit. These foods won’t necessarily want to party with the dressing all day and night, but it’s okay if they mingle a bit. Examples include: tomatoes, avocado, berries or dried fruit.
- Layer 4: Nuts, seeds and grains. For a healthy crunch and dose of healthy fats, I try to throw in some nuts (such as sliced almonds, pistachios or walnuts) or seeds (such as hemp seeds or sunflower seeds). Whole grains, such as quinoa or even pasta, can be a healthy addition to add fiber and nutrients to your plate.
- Layer 5: The greens! A salad isn’t complete without the greens, right? Dark leafy greens are a fantastic way to get a big nutritional bang for your buck and help fill you up without weighing you down.
- Layer 6 (optional): If you are adding protein such as grilled chicken or a hardboiled egg, you can add this on top the day of on your way out the door to ensure freshness.