Have you ever had a smoothie or meal that makes you feel incredibly healthy and refreshed afterwards? THIS is that kind of smoothie. It will make you feel as if you are at a spa or wiggling your toes in the sand while you’re drinking it, and will leave you feeling more energized and vibrant from the inside out afterwards.
This smoothie recipe is part of a detox guide that I had created during the holidays as a way to recover from a day of overindulgence or one too many cocktails. We all know that feeling of being drowsy and slow-moving “the day after” and the reality is, it isn’t just the holiday season that can make us feel this way. It could be a night out with friends, time away on vacation or any other reason we might indulge a little more than usual.
I love to start my morning with this detoxifying and energizing smoothie. Here are some of the key ingredients that make this recipe what I call “liquid gold” in the nutrition department!
- Greens – No one can argue with the fact that we should all be eating more leafy greens. Greens contain chlorophyll and phytonutrients which helps purify the body and are popularly known as “anti-inflammatory” foods.
- Pineapple – This tropical fruit contains the enzyme bromelain, which aids in digestion and are chock full of antioxidants that helps slow down the aging process by fighting off free radicals.
- Lemon – A cold and flu fighter, lemon is a great source of vitamin C and pectin, a natural fiber that helps you feel fuller longer (great for weight management!).
- Coconut water – also known as “nature’s Gatorade”, coconut water helps hydrate the body and is a good source of potassium and magnesium, essential minerals that help regulate fluid balance in the body, promote heart health and boosts energy levels.
To make the Glowing Green Detox Smoothie, you’ll need:
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup spinach (about a heaping handful)
- 1/4 cup parsley (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
- 1 cup coconut water
Place all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!